Recruitment of Office Manager – Stuart BarrCDR
Stuart BarrCDR – a multi-faceted construction company based on the Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire border with expertise in project management and all aspects of construction work, with a long standing successful working relationship with SYLO Associates in all aspects of HR.
SYLO were asked to assist with a number of their recruitment requirements from start to finish throughout this year for roles that included Office Manager, Contracts Manager and Senior QS. All have proved challenging as in each case the role was to replace a long standing employee, this is a company that has a history of retaining employees.
Key requirements were: to establish essential and desirable criteria for the role, create advert copy, identify best channels to advertise, agree recruitment process and any additional support required at face to face interview stage to ensure effective engagement of new employee to start within a very short timeframe along with the added complication of liaising with the MD who is based abroad at this current time.
Office Manager – Solution
- Identify key requirements for role: Establish what the culture of Stuart Barr was, key to know the business, essential and desirable criteria for this role, what type of candidate would fit – this was achieved by a number of on-site meetings with the existing Office Manager and key board members to really get underneath the nuts and bolts of the role and the company fit.
- Recruitment Timeline: Created and agreed a timeline to enable client to easily establish how long the process would take along with each element of the process.
- Job Description: Go through the JD, check understanding and terminology specific to Stuart BarrCDR to allow a more comprehensive and detailed discussion with potential candidates.
- Ad copy: Agree ad copy working in all requirements of the role and who it would appeal to; agree recruitment strategy using job boards and LinkedIn.
- Process : Devise a process that client was happy with, collaborative strategy to include
- Candidate attraction – identifying the right job boards, route to market
- Candidate management – i.e. shortlisted candidates sent to client to ensure on the right track, telephone interview questions (competency based behavioural questions) drawn up and agreed.
- Regular updates with client regarding progress
- Shortlisted candidates agreed, telephone interviews held, a summary of each suitable candidate forwarded to client.
- Client controlled decision making process based on telephone interview summaries and CV’s, candidates selected and invited for interview.
- Interview – agreed dates, type of interview, selected candidates subsequently invited.
- Full support given to client in preparing for face to face interviews – re-worked their interview pack to cover off other more detailed questions following on from the telephone interviews.
- Candidates fully briefed on interview expectation.
- Once candidates were interviewed, decision made by client that day.
- Offer made to successful candidate by Client with remuneration negotiations handled by Stuart Barr.
- Offer accepted, SYLO were involved in overseeing the Offer Letter, once agreed issued to successful candidate with notice period and start date agreed.
- Whole process took 4-5 weeks from brief taken to offer being made and accepted.
If you would like assistance with recruitment or any other issue please contact us.